Folding electric wheelchair are less heavy than traditional wheelchairs and mobility scooters. These wheelchair models are designed for portability and convenience in mind for users on the go. Take your lightweight power wheelchair and travel the world! Only weight around 15 to 60 lbs, folding power chairs are sturdy and durable enough for everyday use yet light enough to be highly portable for travel.
Portable and Compact
These type of wheelchairs may be folded into the back of the trunk or your SUV and can be used for travel and easy transport. Portable and compact, folding power chairs can be stored anywhere and do not require additional storage. Simply put it away in your closet or garage.
Perfect for Travel
Folding electric wheelchairs are perfect for travel. Simply fold in the back of your trunk or SUV for easy transport. Take a vacation on a cruise ship and even fly domestic or abroad with your folding power chair. Some of the latest folding power wheelchairs are TSA and airline approved due to their spill proof and flame proof batteries.
Benefits of Folding Electric Wheelchair
Here are some of the benefits of lightweight power wheelchairs:
- Less heavy than traditional wheelchairs and mobility scooters
- More compact than mobility scooters
- Perfect for travel and users on the go
- Easy storage. No need to purchase separate storage area.
- Compact and portable. Easy to place in and remove from a trunk or SUV.
- No additional equipment. No costly vehicle adaptations such as ramps or hoists or lifts are needed.
Buying a Folding Power Wheelchair
When purchasing a folding power wheelchair, consider where you will be using it the most, indoors or outdoors, what features you require, specification considerations like folding measurements, total weigh and weight capacity, and what is your budget. Buying the right folding power wheelchair that best fits your needs and lifestyle, will provide you with comfort and mobility for your daily activities.
Answering the following questions will help you make an informed decision before buying a folding power wheelchair.
- Do you plan to use a folding power wheelchair outdoors, indoors or both?
- Will you be transporting your wheelchair in cars, airplanes or cruise ships?
- What is the maximum weight capacity and wheelchair weight preferred?
- What top speeds will you need the wheelchair to be able to reach?
- Do you need special seating options for extra comfort?
- What is your budget?
Here are some of the main key features of a folding power wheelchairs:
- Portability – Perfect for travel, users on the go and great for storage
- Durability – Built with high-quality materials and durable of getting you around to move freely with no problems.
- Comfort – Folding power wheelchairs are designed for comfort and convenience in mind.
- Maneuverability – Look at specifications of turning radius to determine the maneuverability. Your chair should be maneuverable in helping you run errands, go shopping, visiting the park, and going to see your family or friends.
The average price for a new folding power wheelchair is $1,500 to $3,900. The price depends on the size, model type, weight capacity, and features. Higher-end and more expensive models will have more features, technology, and customized options.
Medicare may cover some of the costs of purchasing a folding power wheelchair and can provide coverage for Durable Medical Equipment (DME) if you meet some specific requirements that your doctor prescribes.
Before getting approved for a folding power wheelchair coverage, you must have a face-to-face examination, and a written prescription from an accredited doctor before getting approved for Medicare coverage.
It is always a good idea to consider your needs and how your new folding electric wheelchair will be able to improve your lifestyle. Shop around and do your research first when buying. Determine your exact wheelchair folding measurements and other required specifications. Take into consideration the above top features and tips when making your decision about what type to purchase.
400 lbs weight capacity on a lightweight power wheelchair
Perfect for travel and portbale for easy transport
31” turning radius can be used for indoors and outdoors
Reaches top speeds of up to 3.7 mph