Lightweight electric wheelchair average weight is around 15 to 60 lbs. They are sturdy and durable enough for everyday use yet light enough to be highly portable for travel. These type of wheelchairs may be folded into the back of the trunk or your SUV and can be used for travel on a cruise ship. Some of the latest lightweight wheelchairs are TSA and airline approved due to their spill proof and flame proof batteries.
Here are some of the benefits of lightweight power wheelchairs:
- Less heavy than traditional wheelchairs and mobility scooters
- More compact than mobility scooters
- Perfect for travel and users on the go
- Easy storage. No need to purchase separate storage area.
- Compact and portable. Easy to place in and remove from a trunk or SUV.
- No additional equipment. No costly vehicle adaptations such as ramps or hoists or lifts are needed.
Lightest Folding Electric Wheelchair
What is the lightest folding electric wheelchair on the market today? FeatherFold+ Power Chair is considered the lightest electric wheelchair weighing only at 38 lbs (17 kg).
Zinger is another runner up of the lightest power wheelchair with a total weight of 38 pounds.
Buying a Lightweight Power Wheelchair
When purchasing a lightweight power wheelchair, consider where you will be using it the most, indoors or outdoors, what features you require, specification considerations like total weigh and weight capacity, and what is your budget. Buying the right lightweight power wheelchair that best fits your needs and lifestyle, will provide you with comfort and mobility for your daily activities.
Answering the following questions will help you make an informed decision before buying your lightweight power wheelchair.
- Do you plan to use a lightweight power wheelchair outdoors, indoors or both?
- Will you be transporting your wheelchair in cars, airplanes or cruise ships?
- What is the maximum weight capacity and wheelchair weight preferred?
- What top speeds will you need the wheelchair to be able to reach?
- Do you need special seating options for extra comfort?
- What is your budget?
EWheels EW-M45 Power Wheelchair
Here are some of the main key features of lightweight power wheelchairs:
- Portability – Perfect for travel, users on the go and great for storage
- Durability – The lightweight electric wheelchair you decide to purchase, must be built with high-quality materials. The power chair should be durable and have the capability of getting you around to move freely with no problems.
- Comfort – I Lightweight power wheelchairs are designed for comfort and convenience in mind. f you are not comfortable in your lightweight power wheelchair, it may cause you problems and you will not be happy using it. An uncomfortable seat can cause sores to develop and encourage you to have a poor posture.
- Maneuverability – When choosing your lightweight power wheelchair, you may need to make sure that it can support you in getting your daily tasks done. Look at specifications of turning radius to determine the maneuverability. Your chair should be maneuverable in helping you run errands, go shopping, visiting the park, and going to see your family or friends.
The average price for a new lightweight power wheelchair is $1,800 to $3,900. The price depends on the size, model type, weight capacity, and features of the motorized wheelchair. Higher-end and more expensive models will have more features, technology, and customized options.
Here are some of the average costs of lightweight power wheelchairs.
Medicare may cover some of the costs of purchasing a lightweight power wheelchair and can provide coverage for Durable Medical Equipment (DME) if you meet some specific requirements that your doctor prescribes.
Before getting approved for a lightweight electric wheelchair coverage, you must have a face-to-face examination, and a written prescription from an accredited doctor before getting approved for Medicare coverage.
It is always a good idea to consider your needs and how your new lightweight wheelchair will be able to improve your lifestyle. Shop around and do your research first when buying a new lightweight power wheelchair. Take into consideration the above top features and tips when making your decision about what type to purchase.
EWheels EW-M45 Power Wheelchair
Free FedEx shipping on all of our products.
Buy now. Pay later with monthly financing.
Your order is protected by Norton Shopping Guarantee.
We strive to offer stellar customer service.